Friday March 10 15:00 - 18:00 & Saturday March 11 10:00 - 16:00
The Beekeeping taster course is a 10 hour course spread over two days for adults over 19 years old and will include a mix of discussion in the classroom and demonstration in the apiary.
The course aims to introduce participants to the way beekeeping involves working with the bees’ natural instincts and how bees provide humans with a useful indicator as to the health of our environment.
Participants (properly suited!) will spend time examining bees close-up and identifying some of the aspects of bee behavior we will have discussed in class including:
- Lifecycle of the individual bee
- Lifecycle of the honeybee colony
- Bee cooperation and communication
- Requirements of the honeybee colony
- Beekeeping as a collaboration
- Examples of beekeeping methods, techniques and equipment.
- Neither previous experience nor special equipment is necessary although it would be a good idea to bring footwear / and socks that cover feet and ankles as the bee-suits wont.
Places are FREE* for Southwark residents, everyone is welcome and charges of up to £50 may apply to non-Southwark residents.
*Southwark Adult learning Services offer to fund one free place for every Southwark resident each year, subject to availability. You need to have been resident for at least two years, not be in any other training and have a national insurance number.
If you book with us and pay in full then you will recieve £5 off. Just use the code PAYNOW16 when selecting your ticket type.