Friday 15:00 - 18:00 & Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
The Beekeeping workshop is a 10 hour course spread over two days for adults over 19 years old and will include a mix of discussion in the classroom and demonstration in the apiary.
The course aims to introduce participants to the way beekeeping involves working with the bees’ natural instincts and how bees provide humans with a useful indicator as to the health of our environment.
Participants (properly suited!) will spend time examining bees close-up and identifying some of the aspects of bee behavior we will have discussed in class including:
- Lifecycle of the individual bee
- Lifecycle of the honeybee colony
- Bee cooperation and communication
- Requirements of the honeybee colony
- Beekeeping as a collaboration
- Examples of beekeeping methods, techniques and equipment.
- Neither previous experience nor special equipment is necessary although it would be a good idea to bring footwear / and socks that cover feet and ankles as the bee-suits wont.
Did You Know
If you're a Southwark resident of more than 2 years and are over 19 years old you can attend one free workshop a year with us!*
See our terms and conditions for more information.
To book a place please click your ticket type and proceed to our online booking page.
Please note that when selecting the ticket type Southwark Resident you must be over 19 years old and have lived in Southwark for more than 2 years. If you have attended a workshop with us as a funded Southwark Resident place within September 2017 and July 2018 then you will be asked to pay the full price or benefits charge for the workshop.