Booking Opening soon!
Saturday 1 10:00 - 15:00 & Sunday 2 10:00 - 15:00
The Honey Harvest has now become a regular annual fixture of life at Walworth Garden and it has proved to be extremely popular as it provides a rare opportunity for city-dwellers to connect with a seasonal activity which has been practiced by people all over the world for thousands of years!
Being sure to leave sufficient honey for the bees to feed on over Winter, the Honey Harvest will include:
An introductory talk to explain something about:
- Lifecycle of the individual bee
- Lifecycle of the honeybee colony
- Bee cooperation and communication
- Requirements of the honeybee colony
- Beekeeping as a collaboration between beekeeper and honeybee
Followed by the harvest itself which will involve:
- Opening the hives to separate the bees from some of their honey
- Uncapping the wax honeycomb
- Spinning out the honey using manual extractors
- Jaring and labelling the honey for sale at Walworth Garden.
Neither previous experience nor special equipment is necessary although it would be a good idea to bring footwear / and socks that cover feet and ankles as the bee-suits won't
Did You Know
Our quota of free workshops for this academic year has now come to an end.
All workshops are £90 each or take advantage of our special offer, click below to find out more!