Garden Services Division Team Leader
Organisation: Walworth Garden
Job role: Trainee Gardener
Salary: Between £10 - £11 an hour
Apply: To apply for the role please email email@example.com with a copy of your CV or call 020 7582 2652 for an informal and confidential chat.
Walworth Garden is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. The Charity is governed by a voluntary Board of Trustees. Our main charitable work includes horticultural training for people not in work or education and horticultural therapy for vulnerable and disabled adults. We provide services that individuals or other organisations pay for in order to generate surplus income to support our charitable work.
Our Mission is: To change lives by delivering excellent learning and horticultural therapy in an award winning garden that's open to all
Purpose of the job
The primary purpose of the Walworth Garden Services Division Team Leader post is to lead on physical gardening and landscape maintenance work as a member of the Garden Services team and to lead on the safe, lawful and efficient storage of all resources pertaining to the WGSD.
The Garden is a small organisation and employees are expected to be reasonably flexible so that the evolving needs of all stakeholders are met.
The post holder will report to the Operations Manager (OM) or in their absence to the CEO.
- To liaise with the OM to ensure vans are maintained to both legal and Health and Safety requirements so that the organisation gains optimum use from them
- To ensure vans are always ready for use and that repairs, servicing and MOTs are carried out promptly and at a time that least affects the smooth running of the organisation
- To assist the CEO in procuring additional vehicles for WGSD as may become necessary in the future
Equipment and tools maintenance
- To ensure equipment and tools are maintained to both legal and Health and Safety requirements so that the organisation gains the best use from them
- To ensure equipment and tools are always ready for use and that repairs and servicing are carried out promptly and at a time that least affects the smooth running of the organisation
- To liaise with both the CEO and OM in procuring additional equipment and tools as may become necessary
Equipment and Tool Storage
- To liaise with the OM to create and ensure the maintenance of systems of storage that will result in the easy and safe access to all tools and equipment as and when required by WGSD staff and that safe and ordered storage systems are in place for fuel
- Compliance with Health and Safety regulations and the Garden Services work based risk assessments, in particular when working on external sites, ensuring that all reasonable steps are taken to ensure personal safety, the safety of other staff and the public at all times
- The security and prevention of damage to the Garden, Garden buildings, vehicles, tools, equipment and stock owned or in use by the Garden.
- Under direction, the maintenance of the Garden site, including keeping the buildings and vehicles clean and in good condition
- Responding appropriately to enquiries about the Garden and its work from the public community, groups or other organisations
- Compliance with Walworth Garden’s equal opportunities and all other policies and procedures
- To have a good knowledge and experience of petrol powered, garden maintenance machinery and hand tools
- To have good plant and weed knowledge
- To be reliable, enthusiastic, punctual and proactive
- To behave and appear in a professional manner at all times, adhering to the Garden’s rules about presentation and professionalism
- To be personable
- To be able to work alone or lead as part of a team
- To have good communication skills, be well organised and have an attention to detail.
- To be flexible and to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- To be able to listen and take on board instructions and guidance positively, consult with others and communicate proactively.
- To have a full driving license and be comfortable driving in central London
- To be willing to commit to further learning and developing skills so that the role requirements are increasingly better met
This role is subject to enhanced DBS checks
To apply for the role please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7582 2652 for an informal and confidential chat.