Part Time - 3 days a week
Application deadline: 26 February 2018
Interviews will be held Thursday 1 March 2018
Feel free to call our CEO & Head Gardener Oliver Haden on 020 7582 2652 for an informal and confidential chat.
Our mission is to change lives by delivering excellent learning and Horticultural Therapy in an award winning garden that’s open to all.
More specifically the Garden is
- An organic community garden and garden centre open 7 days a week
- Horticultural Training Centre offering City & Guilds accredited QCF Level 2 in Work Based Horticulture for those who are often furthest from employment and career changers.
- A centre for Horticultural Therapy
- A Garden Services Division maintaining the gardens of Southwark
- The lead on Southwark Garden Projects
- A long time partner with Southwark Adult Learning Services delivering a diverse selection of workshops which include Gardening, Beekeeping, Herbal Medicine, Natural Cosmetics and many others
Purpose of the Role
- The post holder will teach and administer all aspects of the successful delivery of City & Guilds accredited, Level 2 in Work based Horticulture. This will include facilitating all practical aspects of the course both at Walworth Garden and on our live contracts located offsite.
- The post holder will be instrumental in making Walworth Garden a centre of excellence in Horticultural training.
- The Garden is a small and complex organisation and employees are expected to be reasonably flexible to meet changing demands. Changes to this job description may be agreed from time to time and responsibilities for specific projects or tasks added or removed.
- The post holder will report to the CEO.
- To successfully teach all aspects of City & Guilds Work Based Horticulture at Level 2
- To administer all aspects of the course in accordance with City & Guilds rules and regulations and to collate data in order to satisfy both City & Guilds and funder demand
- To liaise with and support existing staff in order to ensure coherence and full coverage of the curriculum
- To be appropriately qualified in order to assess student work
- To facilitate student success to completion
- To liaise with the Marketing Assistant in order to promote courses and recruit optimum numbers of students
- To liaise with the Operations Manager so that work carried out by students in the Garden and offsite is in line with the overall vision and contributes to the success of both the Garden, the live site and the Garden centre
- To be a reflective practitioner and adhere to the Professional Teacher Standards as laid out by The Education & Training Foundation
- To take part in preparing students for employment
- To take part in the Garden’s yearly Performance Management cycle
- To be prepared to take part in further developmental training to secure increased success both for the individual and the Garden.
- All other reasonable requests made by the CEO
- You share with other staff the responsibility for the following:
- Compliance with all Health and Safety regulations and to ensure the health and safety of all trainees, visitors to the garden, including school groups, and everyone working at the Garden. Complying with these regulations while working on external sites and ensuring the safety of the public at all times
- To liaise with the CEO and Operations Manager to ensure all work on the Garden is in keeping with the overall vision
- The security and prevention of damage to the Garden, buildings and tools, equipment and stock owned or in use by the Garden
- The maintenance of the site and gardens, including keeping the building and property clean and in good condition
- Responding to enquiries about the Garden and its work from the public, community, groups or other organisations
- Compliance with the Garden’s equal opportunities policy and all other relevant policies
Application for employment as: Teacher/Gardener